WOW! That is the only way to describe this past week+
I will let the list speak for itself.
What we did do this week:
- Did a Homeschool Q&A at the library: No co-op classes this week – I took the month off
- Horse drawn carriage rides through town
- Workbook work
- Easy Peasy Online School
- Made gingerbread houses
- Orthodontist appointment
- Math drills
- Children entered their movie in a contest. Want to see it? https://projected.com/users/4292
- Director: filming and editing at local TV station
- Ice Skating at a friends house & stayed for chilli 🙂
- Got over a foot of snow and the kids played out everyday
- Went to the theatre and watched: It’s A Wonderful Life
- Saw a model trains exhibit
- Bid on wreaths at the wreath festival
- Finished all my Christmas shopping
- #1 Well Pump broke
- #2 Stove broke
- #3 Car broke
Life Happens in 3’s
Now I am definitely not s superstitious person. I am a God is in Control kind of person.
My Grandmother and Mother always say that things happen in 3’s. They are referring to bad events never wonderful events. This past week was one of those 3’s weeks. I have had bad things happen and then thought to myself, “Will there be 2 more?”. I would wait but sometimes that was it. When these things happen in 3’s it is weird.
#1 Well Pump Broke
Last Saturday I was taking my morning shower and the water stopped. Of course my hair was full of shampoo…. I had Tech go around and collect all the water from cups in the house and pour it in a bowl so I could rinse my hair. Dh checked all the wiring, the power, the pressure switch, etc. It looked like the problem was with the well pump itself. Being the cheapskate that I am, I was not willing to pay the well pump guys the weekend rate to fix our pump. My daughter Gallop and her husband picked up some water for us on, so we were not without any water 🙂
The pump guys came on Monday morning. We were on the 3rd day without running water. We started to smell… On Sunday at church I suggested to my daughters in-laws that they not sit too close to us, they laughed. Anyway, that Monday morning I got up really early and decided that if I lived in another country without running water, what would I do? A sponge bath. I decided that if I did not get cleaned up I was not going to be in the best of moods that day, especially if the well pump did not get fixed. One gallon, that is all it took. One gallon of water and I was a new person: hair was shiny and I smelled way better. I felt awesome!
Our well is 750ft deep. The pastor suggested we should have our own natural gas line with a well that deep. I was dreading the cost of pulling that pump up and replacing it. The last one had cost us over $1500 with labor and everything. It takes a long time to pull a pump that deep.
BUT… It was only a broken wire. As they pulled the pump they saw a broken wire at about 250ft. YES!! A broken wire was way cheaper than a new pump. They fixed it and I had running water within 1.5 hours of them arriving. Lots of showers happened in succession. We smelled way better 🙂
At this point I thought, “Will there be 2 more things?”, but went on with life hoping this would be it.
#2 Stove broke
Monday the stove started making this funny buzzing sound up near the controls. It stopped after a bit but came back again the next day. Later that night my dh was up and smelled something funny. The stove was warm. He looked inside and found that the stove had turned the broiler on by itself. Great #2.
We now pull out and unplug the stove whenever we are done using it. Annoying but it still works.
Would there be a #3? and if so, how much worse than these two?
#3 Car broke
It wasn’t just WORSE it took the cake for being the WORST of all three things.
Now, our car didn’t just break it is un-repairable. It is so far gone there is no hope for it to see life again.
What happened you ask? We pulled out of a parking space and…
- the drive shaft fell out onto the ground
- the yoke (in the rear end) broke
- the differential broke
- the axle twisted
- the muffler fell off
- the frame under the rear of the vehicle cracked
There was the most unbelievably loud grinding, scraping of metal, thudding, and then we dropped like 8 inches. It was dead. Now the car still was running. The motor was fine. It just could not go anywhere.
I called AAA to tow the car and then I called my mom and said, “I am DONE!” laughing I said, “This is #3 so I am done. We are all set for a while now.” I proceeded to tell her about my list. She knew about the well pump but the stove and car were a surprise.
My wonderful daughter came and gave us rides home in shifts since there are so many of us. My wonderful son and daughter have both offered us their cars if we need them till be find another.
BUT for now we have no way to go anywhere all together. We are laughing, just laughing that all this has happened. We get to stay home and that is a blessing. We have running water, plenty of food…
Blessings in all this? YES!!
- we have gotten very resourceful when it comes to water usage
- we have wonderful friends who offered us showers: we chose to wait instead of showering 8 people at a friend’s house, seemed like a lot to ask of someone
- we are grateful for running water, should have heard the cheers when we turned the tap on and water came out
- we have a stove that works, even if it is quirky
- that my dh is willing to drive me shopping when the weather is bad, I almost went by myself then I looked at him and he said, “You want me to drive you?” as he saw me looking back towards the window at the snow falling
- we are all safe after the car incident
- we were not driving home at 50mph when the drive shaft fell out, dh said that cars sometimes flip over when that happens and without brakes it had the potential of being terrible
- we get a lot of at home time
- we have a reason to say no to all the outside activities
- we had finished all our Christmas shopping
- we had finished all our grocery shopping
- so, so much more
- He gave His life to save us from eternal death
God has blessed us beyond measure with all he has done for us. We are thankful and happy to be of service to our King.
How about a picture from this week?
How was your week? I would love to know 🙂